Notes: 9/11/12 meeting
Great meeting last Tuesday. A huge thanks to member Eve Fineman for hosting!
I want to welcome a new members that joined the conversation:
Eve facilitaed a disussion on design movements
-What is happening now, in the past few years and do you know when you are in a movement?
-Movements talked about:
- Green Movements and certifications
-The idea of “Fair Trade” being introduced in the fashion industry
- Mass customization vs. custom massification
- Seeing the craft of the hand
-reaction to the higly technical
- Craft in the design realm and conversation – huge part of the design conversation for the past 5 years. Craft in design and design in craft.-College programs with this in mind
–MFA ACD – Portland
- Social practice in design – although some of these ideas are not new they are entering more of the conversation of design and curriculum for future designers.-examples of this idea
-books mentioned: Design Like you Give a Damn
- Technology changing the way we design. First in architecture now in product design.
-aesthetic of complex intensity
-see this also in fashion
-hi tech fabrics – heat sensitive fabrics
-local resource: Inventables
Bridgette and Sharon led the discussion on upcoming show ideas and thoughts
- This is a continuing conversation but current idea is to have the show in June 2013 that can somehow coincide with NeoCon and Design Week. Look for a free space to have the show, possibly centrally located. More on this soon. Ideas are brewing!
Another upcoming event discussed is a group or panel discussion based around the topic of “Material”.
- 3-4 women invited to talk on this topic
- Plan for February 2013
- Any thoughts on women to invite please let us know. We currently have 3 women in mind but of course need to check their interest and schedules.
*if I have missed anything please feel free to add or update!
The next meetup is scheduled for Wednesday November 14th at 7:30
Location: Facilitated by Gillian
Current and upcoming events L(a)WD ladies are involved in:
If there is an event you would like to add please do!
Have a great month. Look forward to the next meeting!